Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Grace

I reworded John Newton's poem 'Amazing Grace' about a year and a half ago, to see if I could make my mind see it in a new light. Although it made me really think about the words, it definitely wasn't an improvement:


Amazing Grace
John Newton

Amazing grace (how sweet the sound)
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind but now I see

It was grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed

Through many dangers, toils and smares
I have already overcome
It was grace that led me safe thus far
And grace will bring me home

When we've been there a thousand years
Bright shining as the sun
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we first begun



There are actually more verses in the poem, but this is all they put in the hymn books, which is where I was copying it from.



Grace
Susannah B.

Oh, how beautiful that word 'grace', sounds - amazing that it saved a wretched person like me!
I was lost and alone but it found me, I was in deep darkness but now I stand in the brightest of lights. Grace taught me fear of the Lord and grace freed me from fear of men, grace was especially wonderful in that first hour after i put my trust in God. I have passed unscathed through dangers, difficulties, and snares aplenty already, it's grace that has brought me safely this far and it's grace that will bring me safely home. Now, when the earth has been around for ten thousand years, those who've found grace have just as much time to praise God as Adam and Eve did.


It served it's purpose fine, but it isn't good at all. even I see that. As hard as it was to keep from rewriting the rewrite, I succeeded (apart from fixing a few spelling mistakes). And the last word really should be 'do' not 'did'.

No comments: